Bike Tour to New Castle of Ansembourg: this guide is still experimental, any feedback is welcome.
|Departure||PC 1, Cimetière de Merl, Luxembourg|
|Arrival||PC 1, Pfaffenthal lift, Luxembourg|
|Difficulty||Intermediate, suitable for all skill levels.|
|Distance||Total: 47.3 km, including on
Cycleway and track: 25.7 km
Quiet street and road: 20.8 km
National road: 700 m
|Duration||02:48 at 16.9 km/h|
|Elevation||Up: 250 m
Down: 300 m
Highest point: 330 m
Lowest point: 220 m
|Surface||paved, except 10 metres on unpaved path|
- Reach PC 1 (Piste cyclable du Centre), Cimetière de Merl at the intersection between rue des Aubépines and Val Sainte Croix; follow PC 1 towards Strassen and continue straight to rue des Romains where PC 13 begins; follow it to the centre of Mamer and continue straight forward after the church (PC 13 turns left at a restaurant called La Croccante, don’t follow it) until the end of the street rue du Millénaire (marker 1 below) (7 km)
- Coming from Mamer church, turn right on rue du Commerce and follow the road that becomes rue Henri Kirpach (where climbing starts), cross route d’Arlon (traffic light) to route de Kehlen until the traffic light at the intersection with Route d’Arlon (450 m, slightly uphill), which used to be the old road going to Kehlen), cross the motorway bridge and continue forward to the end of the road where it becomes a path for a short distance before carefully crossing the CR102 road; continue on the asphalt track that leads to Z.I. Kehlen and continue straight forward to Nospelt. In Nospelt, turn left at the intersection to rue de Kehlen (marker 2 below) (5.4 km)
- From rue de Kehlen in Nospelt, turn right to Grand Rue (a restaurant called Bonifas is located at the intersection), and follow the road to Dondelange as shown on the street signs. Beware that the road goes downhill and there may be traffic coming the opposite direction. In Dondelange, turn left into N12 and turn right on the first street, after 600 metres, before N12 turns left, just after exiting Dondelange (marker 3 below) (3.3 km)
- From marker 3 below, follow the route to the Eisch river, cross the cobblestone bridge, and turn right into CR 105 into the Valley of the Seven Castles (Aischdall), where many cyclists train. Continue until you reach the Nouveau chateau d’Ansembourg where you can stop and visit the gardens (green star on the map below); once the visit is over continue on CR 105 until you reach Reckange (marker 4 two maps below).
- Follow cycling directions to Mersch park, and reach PC 15 (Piste cyclable de l’Alzette) (marker 5 on the map below); turn right to cycle back to Luxembourg following PC 15 and PC 1, or left to get to Mersch train station.
Short memo to use as a reminder:
- Cimetière de Merl (PC1), Strassen, PC 13, Mamer (leave PC 13 at Mamer church to rue du Millénaire, right to rue du Commerce, rue Henri Kirpach, cross route d’Arlon, route de Kehlen, cross motorway, cross CR 102), Z.I. Kehlen, Nospelt, Dondelange, Ansembourg, Castle, Reckange, Mersch, PC 15.